Frequently Asked Questions
1. After cleaning out the calcium and barnacles from my heat exchangers, what will stop this from happening again?
By installing MPA’s Fresh Water Flushing System, (various sizes and models to suit most vessels) the fresh water will stay inside the raw water cooling side of the system thus eliminating the barnacle growth and stops the solid calcium build inside the heat exchangers.
2. Can I use this system for the gen-set I’ve got on-board?
MPA’s Fresh Water Flushing Systems can help to reduce salt build up and prolong the life of your generator, as well as your air-conditioner. The flushing is carried out as normal after use.
3. Do I have to have my heat exchangers removed and cleaned before installing a Fresh Water Flushing System?
4. Do I have to turn off the seacock when operating the fresh water flushing device?
No – if your boat is in the water. This is a safety factor.
5. How do I clean the internals of my heat exchanger without removing it?
Commercial cleaning products can now be easily administered after installation of the MPA’s fresh water flushing device.
With the system installed, regular flushing with fresh water, on the completion of each boat trip, will eliminate salt build-up in the heat exchanger. The fresh water will dissolve the residual salts from the substrate as the heat from the engine is transferred to the fresh water absorbing the salts and holding them in suspension until motor start up. These salts are then released back into there environment.
6. How does calcium build up in the heat exchangers?
While the engine is cooling down, the salt water inside the heat exchangers heats up due to no circulation. This makes the water molecules separate with the heavier salt settling to the bottom, known as brine. This in turn builds up in layers causing the cooling galleries of the heat exchanger to be sealed off – thus causing over heating of the engine, potentially leading to catastrophic engine failure.
7. I’m not a mechanic, how easy is it to install a Fresh Water Flushing System?
The B100 to the B200 requires a hacksaw and a 10mm spanner. We must emphasise however, during any installation of this nature, the sea cock must be closed. The Remote Fresh Water Flushing System and the Large Remote Fresh Water Flushing requires some mechanical knowledge. All these systems come with instructions. The Automatic Fresh Water Flushing System requires fully qualified Marine mechanics and Electricians for total install.
8. I’ve just spent over $3,000 per motor to have my heat exchangers cleaned, do I now need to install these flushing devices?
Yes, cleaning heat exchangers which have become clogged with salt, can be very expensive, and not just in monetary terms. If you rely on your boat to make your living (eg. charter boat, water taxi, pilot boat, etc), then you don’t want the boat out of the water any more than is absolutely necessary. Now, with MPA’s fresh water flushing devices, your boat’s down time can be reduced.
By regularly flushing your engines with fresh water at the end of each boat trip, you will be keeping the build up of salt in your heat exchangers to a minimum.
9. Is the Fresh Water Flushing System only available for main engines?
The Fresh Water Flushing System can also be used for gen-sets, air conditioning units and any other system which has a raw water cooling heat exchanger.
10. Is there a better way to flush your heat exchangers?
There is nothing available on the market that we know of, that can economically (and without harming the environment), easily and cleanly maintain your heat exchangers like the devices from MPA.
11. My heat exchangers are clean but the engines are still over heating.
Heat exchangers are only part of the raw water cooling system. The plumbing between the heat exchangers and also from the sea cock to the raw water pump may be blocked with barnacles thus restricting the water flow. To remove these we recommend Clean Flush Soak. This product will also remove the calcium build up from the heat exchangers at the same time.
12. Why install a Fresh Water Flushing System to my vessel’s motor(s) heat exchangers?
When a vessel is used in a salt water environment, the calcium build up commences once any engine has been run and cooled down. This occurs with all heat exchangers from gen sets, air conditioners, main engines and hydraulic heat exchangers.
PROUDLY A MEMBER OF:
About Marine Products Australia
Marine Products Australia (MPA) specialises in custom solutions for your boating and marine needs. Offering quality products from Australia’s leading marine manufacturers, Marine Products Australia works with you to create effective marine solutions for your boat, jet ski or houseboat.
Marine Products Australia
Ph: 1300 842 928
19 Melrich Road
Bayswater VIC 3153
Mon–Fri: 9.00am–4:30pm (AEDT)